Sunday 11 September 2011

A Retrospective

As this day winds down, without having really done anything, couldn't help but turn my thoughts to 10 years ago. Yes, I'm writing a post about it just like everyone's done already, I suppose, on a day like today.

Ten years ago, we were living in SoCal. Ten years ago, on that fateful morning, I was on my way to work. Hubby was driving me to work, just like the other days. When I got to work, it was obviously not just like the other days.

Clearly, it happened way before I got to work. Don't bother asking how we missed such a news...

That day became a man-on-the-moon moment for me. Not in an exhilarating kind of way, unfortunately. I remember what I was wearing- mauve Laura Petite suit that my sister gave to me one Christmas, where I was- I just got to work like mentioned earlier, and what I was doing- trying to get our TV at work working because there was no cable at work all while trying to get the office ready for the day. 

I remember messages on our answering machine from family and friends, asking how we were. I remember the calls when I got home, from family and friends, making sure we were ok. They kept hearing about one of the planes that was supposed to be Cali-bound. It didn't matter that we were 3,000 miles away from the "event". I guess people become geographically-challenged when it starts concerning closed ones. I know the same thing would've happened to me.

That same month, my sisters were scheduled to visit us. I remember talking about it with them and my folks, whether they should re-schedule or not. In the end, we all thought there couldn't be a safer time to travel. And it was true. I was, still am, glad they came, because in the end, we had a good time. We got to spend time as a mini-family. We now have memories that we can treasure for as long as our brain would allow. Memories, that in the end, are the kind of things that carries a person through in times such as the one 10 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...